2015 Case Studies
“CCN is a great way to learn how small, everyday decisions can really have a large impact on energy consumption.”
- Philip Mansfield, Manager, Sustainability Programs / Environmental Health and Safety, Carleton University
"Planning and implementing a successful competition is not as daunting as it may seem."
- Nicole Schmiedt, Student Eco-Rep Coordinator
Concordia College was a Top 10 Electricity Reducer in CCN 2015
"During the challenge we saw a lot of growth in students as they took their consumption patterns into their own hands."
- Jackie Goodwin ‘17, Chief Content Creator and Energy Challenge Coordinator
Dickinson College was a Top 10 Electricity Reducer in CCN 2015
“The spring competition season was a good time of year to teach people about saving water and energy, because many of our students will be graduating or transitioning to live off campus. It teaches them techniques about keeping utility bills low and conserving resources.”
- Allison Stillmaker, Housing and Residential Life Representative, EWU
Eastern Washington University was a Top 5 Water Reducer in CCN 2015
"We have found that a small core group of planners is the most efficient.... We had to develop different programs, events and messages to appeal to each of our target audiences: faculty, staff and students."
- Jen Cox, Associate Director of Facilities Management Missouri State University
"The quantifiable savings from CCN have resulted, over the past three years, in a continuing investment by the energy program in metering all of our residence halls."
- John Viau, Sustainability Coordinator, Facility Services, Advisor to Bearcats Going Green
Northwest Missouri State University was a Top 10 Electricity Reducer in CCN 2015
"The greatest benefit in participating in the competition was expanding awareness of conservation issues and awareness of organizational interest and support of conservation efforts. This is not only true of student awareness, but also awareness among college staff."
- David Davis, Energy Resource Manager
Pima Community College was a Top 5 Water Reducer in CCN 2015
"It showed us that small steps really do add up to a huge difference, and that this kind of reduction is important for us and for the Austin community at large."
- Cristina Bordin, Sustainability Coordinator, and Eliza Worrick, Administrative Coordinator, Office of the President
"All dollar savings were donated to St. John’s Bread & Life Soup Kitchen in Brooklyn, which serves over 1,000 meals daily to hungry New Yorkers and offers a variety of services to its clients."
- Thomas Goldsmith, Director of Energy & Environmental Conservation, Department of Facilities and Campus Services
"Community was strengthened within the residence as participants got competitive and encouraged each other to practice electricity-reducing behavior."
- Lisa Dockman, Sustainability Coordinator, Office of Sustainability
"At Western we believe in the Triple Bottom Line and looking at not only the fiscal impacts and the impact on the environment, but also how sustainability impacts people and social systems. This was a great chance to implement that philosophy."
- Morgan Schmidt, Student and Sustainability Assistant, and Shannon R. Havlik, Sustainability Coordinator
Western Technical College was a Top 10 Electricity Reducer in CCN 2015
2014 Case Studies
Louisiana State University was a Top 10 Electricity Reducer in CCN 2014
Berea College was a Top 10 Electricity Reducer in CCN 2014
Pomona College was a Top 5 Water Reducer in CCN 2014
Portland State University was a Top 10 Electricity Reducer in CCN 2014
UW Milwaukee was a Top 5 Water Reducer in CCN 2014
Appalachian State University was a Top 10 Electricity Reducer in CCN 2014
Bard College was a Top 10 Electricity Reducer in CCN 2014